Ever heard of Parkinson’s Law? It’s an edict written by Cyril Northcote Parkinson that states “work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.” We writers know this well; writers are notorious procrastinators. That’s why a project such as self-publishing a book – which has no deadline and no gruff editor to bark when it’s passed – often never gets done at all.
Let’s all resolve to break Parkinson’s Law in the New Year. With a plan and a few smartly chosen resolutions, you can finish that dusty manuscript and self-publish in 2014.
- Resolve to practice good “writing hygiene.” If clutter, external distractions or procrastination have been your worst enemy, make it a high priority to eliminate these hindrances, so you can spend the rest of your time focused and productive.
- Resolve to write on schedule. If you’re early in your writing efforts, guestimate how many pages (or how many hours, if you prefer to measure that way) it should take you to finish your current book. Divide it by 40 to determine how many pages/hours you’ll need to complete each week to finish your project. That timeline leaves 12 weeks at the end of 2014 to move your book through the rest of the editing and publishing process.
- Resolve to make connections. Reach out to other writers. Join a writer’s guild in your area and set a goal to attend every meeting. Set other goals to read portions of your work at meetings and gather feedback that will keep your project on track.
- Resolve to reward good behavior. Meeting your periodic goals should be rewarded. Resolve to give yourself a little pat on the back for certain benchmarks. For example, reward the halfway mark of your book with that new Kindle Fire HD you’ve had your eye on.
A new year means a new start – but only if you set your mind to it! Resolve to get moving now, and have a new book on the market before the holidays roll around again.
|FREE CUSTOM COVER ($300 value) WHEN YOU START PUBLISHING!
Any author wants to make the best first impression with his or her cover when it hits the shelf or is posted on the web, and an exclusive custom cover, designed specifically for that book, is probably the single most important element in making that striking first impression.
Your book will be judged by its cover.
A custom cover design not only gives authors a far greater chance for an immediately favorable response to their books, it also helps convey a sense of the style, tone and content inside, and that too has an immediate effect on potential buyers.
This option is normally $299 but if you start today it’s FREE! Just enter the promotion code COVERJAN14 when checking out of your shopping cart while purchasing the popular Diamond package or the full color Pearl publishing package by January 31, 2014.
|TOP 5 PUBLISHING HEADLINES
|AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT & SUCCESS STORY
“Outskirts Press resources are wonderful and the author representatives execute their jobs professionally. You provide high quality work and excellent service at great value, and I am grateful for the opportunity to benefit from your expert marketing advice after publication. Thank you!”
Regina Ozoemela is a lifestyle and career coach, author, and contributing author of two international bestsellers. Regina and her husband live in Boston, Massachusetts.
Don’t let the obstacles in your life discourage you from accomplishing your goals! In “Success Against All Odds”, you’ll discover the secrets behind finding inspiration and success in your life and career. This simple, easy-to-implement guide will teach you how to: Set positive intentions that inspire you every day so your past does not determine your future; Create alternatives, because the power to change our lives lies within each of us, as does the power to realize our dreams; and find and secure your ideal career using five proven steps. This is a great time to begin a more successful life.
– Regina Ozoemela, author of Success Against All Odds