Ever heard of Parkinson’s Law? It’s an edict written by Cyril Northcote Parkinson that states “work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.” We writers know this well; writers are notorious procrastinators. That’s why projects such as writing and marketing a book – which have no deadline and no gruff editor to bark when it’s passed – don’t always get the attention they deserve.
Let’s all resolve to break Parkinson’s Law in the New Year. With a plan and a few smartly chosen resolutions, you can painlessly boost visibility for your self-published book and hit your highest sales figures yet in 2014.
- Resolve to practice good “marketing hygiene.” If distractions and procrastination have been your worst enemy, make it a high priority to eliminate these hindrances, so you can spend the rest of your time focused and productive. Block out times when the TV is off and you’re focused solely on marketing.
- Resolve to market on schedule. Make it a point to reach out to as many news entities as possible in 2014. For example, consider making a list of all the radio stations, TV stations, newspapers and magazines in your region and on a national level that might be interested in your book. Divide that list by 10 and send press packets to that number of organizations each week for the next 10 weeks. Follow the same pattern for follow-up calls over the next 10 weeks.
- Resolve to hit the airwaves. Consider setting a goal of one radio/TV/newspaper interview per quarter in 2014. If you’re sticking to your scheduled marketing resolution, that’s not an unattainable goal.
- Resolve to make connections. Reach out to other writers. Join a writer’s guild in your area and set a goal to attend every meeting. Set other goals to read portions of your work at meetings and gather feedback from others about connections they have made themselves, and marketing leads that proved fruitful for them.
- Resolve to reward good behavior. Meeting your periodic goals should be rewarded. Give yourself a little pat on the back for certain benchmarks. For example, reward your first book review (regardless of how positive or negative it turns out) with that new Kindle Fire HD you’ve had your eye on.
A new year means a new start – but only if you set your mind to it! Resolve to get moving now, and move that book a little closer to the top of the bestseller chart before the holidays roll around again.
Get help now marketing your book.
|RECEIVE YOUR FREE 2014 AUTHOR MARKETING CALENDAR|
Successful book promotion requires an organized plan. Let the Outskirts Press 2014 Marketing Calendar draw your attention to some of the most important book marketing deadlines throughout the year, as well as the most helpful marketing options in the industry.
Best of all, the calendar is absolutely FREE for a limited time for Outskirts Press published authors!
Simply enter the promotion code Free2014 when you check out of your shopping cart by January 15th. Your free marketing calendar will appear immediately in your Toolkit.
It’s just our small way of wishing you a Happy New Year!
|TOP 10 DIAMOND BOOKS FROM OUTSKIRTS PRESS AUTHORS|
|TOP 5 PUBLISHING HEADLINES|
- Top 10 best selling books in self-publishing for November 2013
- Top 10 self-publishing book marketing tactics for November 2013
- “Holiday Spirit” Winner, Jordyn Johnson Wins an Outskirts Press Gift Certificate!
- Merry Christmas from Outskirts Press
- Pinterest Book Marketing for Self-Publishing Authors: Gary Turcotte
|AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT & SUCCESS STORY|
“Outskirts Press resources are wonderful and the author representatives execute their jobs professionally. You provide high quality work and excellent service at great value, and I am grateful for the opportunity to benefit from your expert marketing advice after publication. Thank you!”
Regina Ozoemela is a lifestyle and career coach, author, and contributing author of two international bestsellers. Regina and her husband live in Boston, Massachusetts.
Don’t let the obstacles in your life discourage you from accomplishing your goals! In “Success Against All Odds”, you’ll discover the secrets behind finding inspiration and success in your life and career. This simple, easy-to-implement guide will teach you how to: Set positive intentions that inspire you every day so your past does not determine your future; Create alternatives, because the power to change our lives lies within each of us, as does the power to realize our dreams; and find and secure your ideal career using five proven steps. This is a great time to begin a more successful life.
-Regina Ozoemela, author of Success Against All Odds