How do successful authors build their brands? And what does ‘success’ look like when it comes to crafting a social media presence? When you are ready to publish, these questions can lead to some complicated answers. But it doesn’t have to be that way! Author and actress Mirtha Michelle Castro Marmol is perhaps best known for her roles in the “Fast & Furious” franchise and the upcoming film, “AWOL-72.” Her first book of poetry, Letters, To The Men I Have Loved, was released by Outskirts Press in June of 2014 and quickly climbed through the bestseller ranks. In a recent interview with us, Mirtha Michelle credits much of her success to a quality relationship with what she calls her “social media family.” In her own words, here are four simple tips she offers to the newly published author:
- Diversify your platform. Mirtha Michelle keeps readers up-to-date on her activities and poetry through Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram–a rigorous and diverse digital platform that ensures her words reach as many people as possible. “Social media has helped me get to know my readers and my audience,” she says, and it is important that she reach her readers wherever they are to be found.
- Create original content, and regularly. “Two years ago,” Mirtha Michelle tells us, “I just posted about my life a little bit–my outfits, if I went out somewhere exciting, and so on. But after a while, I started posting quotes I liked, and I started to see that social media was an outlet to express myself and show what I was working on.” She began posting more intentionally about her ongoing projects, with the intent of bringing her followers alongside as her work continues to evolve: “I see it as a job, to be honest. I pay close attention to my social media.” She makes a point of posting new and original content several times a week, including artistically and professionally shot photographs of her poetry.
- Positivity helps. Mirtha Michelle’s initials make up a personalized hashtag, #MMCM. This hashtag helps her readers connect across social media platforms, and has become a bastion for positivity and healthy relationships. In their comments on her blog, fans often cite her work as instrumental in helping them through difficult times. “I wish I could reply to every single person who writes a comment,” she says, “and I wish I could thank every person.” It can be challenging to keep up with every follower, but Mirtha Michelle goes to great lengths to ensure they know she’s listening: “I try to respond to everyone on Tumblr, because I really, really care.” Readers return to Mirtha Michelle’s blog, and her poetry, again and again–in large part because of her optimism and her genuine interest in their lives.
- Be authentic. “Write your heart,” Mirtha Michelle advises. “Imagine you’re meditating with your computer, with words. Really listen to your soul, so you can express what it wants to say.” Even on social media, she tells us, “I don’t try to be anything I’m not.”
Mirtha Michelle’s book, Letters, To The Men I Have Loved, is available through iTunes, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and the Outskirts Press Direct bookstore. You may not already be a social media expert, but Outskirts Press is here to help! With our Author Platform Set-up Through Social Media option we handle everything you need to launch your book in the social media world. Plus we make it easy to sell your book through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Apple’s iBook store. When it comes to creating a digital platform, we’ve got you covered.
Are you ready to get published and begin marketing yourself and your book?
|START PUBLISHING AND RECEIVE A FREE CUSTOM COVER|
Every author wants to make the best first impression with his or her cover when it hits the shelf or is posted on the web, and an exclusive custom cover, designed specifically for that book, is probably the single most important element in making that striking first impression. If your book doesn’t stand out, it may never be picked up! A Custom Cover Design not only gives authors a far greater chance for an immediately favorable response to their books, it also helps convey a sense of the style, tone and content inside, and that too has an immediate effect on potential buyers. This option is normally $499 but if you start today it’s FREE! Just enter the promotion code COVEROCT14 when checking out of your shopping cart while purchasing the popular Diamond package or the full color Pearl publishing package by October 31, 2014. In addition to receiving a FREE Custom Cover for your book, you’ll also receive the following with your Diamond package:
- Standard Press Release. $99 value included free when you order your Diamond publishing service today.
- Audio Excerpt. $99 value included free with your Diamond order today and a great way to share your voice with your readers, literally!
- E-Book Edition (pdf). $99 value included free with your Diamond publishing service.
- Cover Image. $99 value included free and a great way to enhance your cover.
- Spring Arbor additional distribution. $99 value to complement the Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Ingram availability already included with your Diamond publishing service.
All in all, you’re looking at almost $1,000 of free stuff in October!
|TOP 5 PUBLISHING HEADLINES|
- One of the world’s greatest book fairs kicks off today in Frankfurt
- Authors can receive a complimentary custom cover for their books when self-publishing in October
- Get your book ready for the holiday book buying season
- What makes a custom book cover stand out
- Make any child a literary star with custom children’s books from Outskirts Press
|AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT & SUCCESS STORY|
“Excellent in every category. Particularly pleased with the high quality cover graphics, and overall quality of the book itself…..Thanks for your great work!” J. Sylvester Wood is a Registered Financial Planner with over 30 years of experience as a financial professional. He is a well-known radio personality and public speaker. Finally-a comprehensive overview of the history of money and finance written in plain English! Keeping It Safe is clear, concise, and easy to follow-a guide to help you successfully navigate the murky waters of today’s financial services industry. It offers practical tools so that you can make informed decisions about your own financial future. Learn little-understood financial strategies that will have you in the markets when they are going up and automatically take you out of the markets when they go down. Examine the history and the inner workings of mutual funds, annuities, the life insurance industry, banking, and more. Discover the safest, most ideal retirement strategies available to the American public today. Explore the history of money and finance in the United States and learn how to use this knowledge to your own advantage. With Keeping It Safe, you can take advantage of this information-and beat the Wall Street robber barons at their own game! – J. Sylvester Wood, author of Keeping It Safe!