According to Forbes Magazine, United States audiobook sales reached nearly $1 billion in 2018 (final 2019 figures aren’t in yet), which continues a 7-year double-digit growth since 2012. One can only assume the sales will be even higher in 2019, and now in 2020, even higher still.
Is your book an audiobook yet? If it’s not, it should be, especially if your book falls into one of the following categories, which, according to Amazon, are the top-10 best-selling audiobook genres:
- Mystery & Suspense — narrators are particularly good at being spooky!
- Anything on the bestsellers list — surprise surprise!
- Science Fiction & Fantasy — during these pandemic times, is this really a surprise?
- History & Biographies — narrators have a knack for sounding knowledgeable
- Business & Self-Improvement — who has time to better themselves? Oh, yeah! I have a 1-hour commute!
- Children & Young Adult — who knew children like having books read to them?
- Inspiration & Religion — now your listeners can join those who hear God speak to them
- Erotica & Romance — is this really a surprise to anyone?
- Sports — now people can play fantasy football while they watch football AND listen to football!
- Westerns — Giddy-up! Listen, cowboys and cowgirls, it’s time to publish YOUR audiobook right now