Where would we as self-publishing professionals be without the hard work and dedication of library staff and volunteers? We at Outskirts Press ponder this every April during National Library Week! This year, the celebration of this priceless community resource takes place April 9-15 with the theme “Libraries Transform.”
Since 1958, the American Library Association (ALA) has celebrated the contributions of public, academic and special libraries across the country, and promoted library use and support. The second full week of each April, the ALA recognizes library staff, bookmobiles and other library supporters who make the reading, studying and learning experience exceptional for children and adults everywhere.
As an author, you owe your calling, in part, to the work of dedicated library staff. So, how do you recognize this work ‐ and make it work for you?
- Share your own “transformation” story. Explain to readers of your social media pages or blog how your time at the local library changed your life. Share this story with your local librarian.
- Host a reading from your book at your local public library, school district libraries and college/university libraries.
- Donate copies of your book to local libraries. Remember to include ISBNs, a summary and classification information about your book.
- Host a contest on your social media pages, offering a prize or special recognition to every reader who donates their copy of your book to their local library, or to a reading/literacy program in their area.
- Host a contest that awards 10 or more copies of your book to the most deserving library nominated by followers of your social media pages.
- Remember to alert local media of donations to libraries through a press release.
Have we missed anything? Share your National Library Week celebration ideas and transformation stories on the Outskirts Press Facebook page!
Are you working on a book that you hope to see on the shelves of your local library some day? Talk to Outskirts Press for ideas on how to publish or market your book to greater success in 2017. Call us at 1-888-672-6657 to talk to a Publishing Consultant or visit our website at www.outskirtspress.com to chat via our live chat option.
|Visit Outskirts Press|