Book fairs are a great way to promote your book, meet accomplished colleagues, and learn about the publishing industry. While each state in America (and actually almost each country nation-wide) celebrates writers and books with their own local/regional fairs, there are five massive, international book fairs each year that no self-publishing author should miss: Beijing, Bologna, Book Expo of America, Frankfurt, and London.
While the Bologna Book Fair focuses on children’s books and juvenile/young adult, the others are more general in their appeal and focus, making them primary spots for an active marketing effort, whether in person or “via representation.” Many companies, and probably your own publisher, offer co-op opportunities to have your book on display at these international venues and represented on your behalf. Sure, nothing beats a trip overseas, but if that’s not in your budget, check with the opportunities your publisher or marketing professional can secure for you.
If you plan to attend in person, here are some tips for getting the most out of book fairs:
- Take plenty of business cards, and make sure your cards are professional and eye catching
- Find out which journalists, bloggers, and other influencers will be at the event ahead of time (by conducting some targeted keyword searches on Google — said bloggers and influencers are probably talking about it endlessly) and send them a copy of your press release in advance
- Host an event at your stand. Be sure to advertise your stand event
- Join the Book Fair group on Facebook and LinkedIn to connect with contacts and other attendees
- Do your research. Find out as much as you can about the scheduled events, market audience, attendees, etc. before the event
- Don’t forget to market on social media before, during, and after the event
Save 15% Now on Your Global Book Tour
This month, Outskirts Press is offering 15% off our Global Book Tour marketing option. The Global Book Tour is a convenient, economical way to get your book exposure at the four most prestigious international book events: London Book Fair, BookExpo (America), Beijing International Book Fair and Frankfurt Book Fair.
For just $993.65, a savings of $175.35 off the already bundled price, Outskirts Press will handle all of the details to register your book for these popular events and you will receive …
- Prominent, face-out display of your book with select other Outskirts Press titles
- A representative on-site to personally answer questions and promote your book to interested attendees
- Valuable industry leads
- Inquiries forwarded directly to you for follow-up!
To exhibit your book and save 15%, enter promo code GoGlobal-Save15 at checkout when you purchase the Global Book Tour before the offer expires!