Whether we care to admit it or not, we are influenced by others in our purchase decisions. We ask friends for recommendations. We read product reviews. We think twice about buying something that has earned a meager 3/5 stars.
Likewise, positive buzz is priceless. In fact, word of mouth is one of the most powerful marketing tools any business can have, including the self-publishing business. That’s why book awards—positive word of mouth from experts in the field—are so much more than a pat on the back for an author. Awards are also an underutilized marketing tool with benefits that go well beyond the warm-fuzzies that come with positive recognition.
Here are five ways book awards can benefit self-publishing authors like you:
- You score media visibility. A book award can create media buzz for your book and there’s no better marketing than that.
- Readers take notice. Book buyers often rely on reviews and award wins to identify the quality before they make a purchase. So, the more recognitions you get—and the more of them that come from reputable sources—the more value potential buyers will ascribe to your book.
- The domino effect. Awards inspire reviews. The more awards you have, the more likely you are to get noticed by other book award panels and reviewers, raising your profile even further.
- Amazon shows support. Once a book begins to accumulate book awards, reader engagement and reviews, Amazon will want to back that book. They may promote it as an editor’s choice and the book will likely rank higher in Amazon’s search results. This activity influences purchases, and Amazon wants its sellers to succeed.
- The bottom line grows. More awards mean greater visibility, which generally translates into more sales. A feather in your cap is a huge step toward turning pageviews into follow-throughs.
Win or no win, book competitions get your title in front of savvy literary professionals and eager readers.
Feel like you have a potential award-winner in your hands? Let Outskirts Press get you submitted to book competitions so you can compete for prestigious titles and prizes.