Just let that sink in for a moment:
(That’s a lot of words.)
November is just a few days away, and for some of you, that means National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is approaching with its 50,000 words looming on the horizon.
NaNoWriMo isn’t just a vanity project; this is a chance to tackle many of the thorniest issues related to writing and authorship, specifically as self-publishing authors, that emerge when we settle into a long and sustained attempt to generate material. These issues include (but are not limited to) finding inspiration, maintaining motivation, vanquishing writer’s block, and navigating an author’s complicated relationships to editing.
To help you prepare, we’ve created a to-do list for all self-publishing authors participating in NaNoWriMo!
- Read a couple of pep talks, all of which are available on the NaNoWriMo website, to boost your motivation to get started–and to succeed
- Add a NaNoWriMo badge (also available on nanowrimo.org) to your website, as a fun way to let everyone know that you are taking the challenge
- Spend some time before the writing doing the things which refresh your will to write: listen to music, people watch, drink coffee, and read books!
- Relax: NaNoWriMo is inevitably hectic, so prepare your mind and body by practicing relaxation techniques such as exercising, meditating, or doing Sudoku
- Bring your friends and family on board! You will need their support during this process, so remind them of your goals and writing schedule
- Have fun. NanoWriMo is a fun process, so just enjoy it
Good luck to all of the self-publishing authors who are participating in NaNoWriMo. We can’t wait to see your books in print, and we hope you’ll keep us posted on your progress throughout November if you choose to pursue the project. And, as always, we hope you’ll turn to us if you find yourself looking for encouragement or support.
When it’s time to publish your masterpiece, call an Outskirts Press Publishing Consultant to help you get started. There are three convenient ways to connect:
- Call us at 1-888-672-6657 (OP-BOOKS)
- Live-chat with us via our website
- Go online to schedule an appointment