Thanksgiving is right around the corner — a time for family, friends, and reflection on our many blessings — and today’s self-published authors have more to be thankful for than ever before.
Self-publishing has empowered authors in exciting new ways. Self-publishing is quickly becoming the preferred publishing method for many authors — those who want to carve their own paths and create their own destiny. And the rewards are great.
Read on and be thankful for some of the wonderful blessings today’s independent authors enjoy.
- You’re in control. With electronic self-publishing, you retain complete control on the planning, editing, publishing, and marketing process. You set the pricing, you make the creative decisions, and you market on your own terms. No “artistic differences” with an editor who doesn’t share your unique vision! You — not an editor — retain the rights to your work and what ultimately becomes of it.
- Higher royalties. While traditional publishing houses net you somewhere in the ballpark of 15-20 percent of revenues, as a self-publishing author, depending on how you choose to set up your pricing/sales structure, you can keep much more of your book revenue.
- Print on demand. The ability to produce as many or as few books as necessary has opened the door for talented authors to realize their publishing dreams, even on a shoestring budget. No more astronomical upfront costs for printing, storage and shipping.
- Marketing help. While both independent authors and traditionally published authors must take control of their own self-promotion, Outskirts Press has resources specifically tailored for our authors.
- Digital editions. It’s a piece of cake to create a digital version of your book and tap into a huge market of e-book fans, increasing sales and exposure.
- Revisions. With a self-published book, it’s much easier to create a second edition or correct errors down the line than with traditionally published books. Again, you are in control.
- Support. Even if you write from a tiny corner of your living room, you can connect with the worldwide writing community with one tap of the mouse. Help, support, inspiration, and friendship are all available to authors online. (The Outskirts Press App can get you started!)
- You’ll get published sooner. A self-publishing author can write, design/format, and publish a book in the time it takes a traditional publishing house to review a manuscript and mail a rejection letter. While their authors wait for printing to commence, their self-published counterparts are already months into selling.
- You’ll get published, period. Of course, there are advantages to the infrastructure set up by most traditional publishers, but all of that is meaningless if they don’t agree to publish your book. Because a traditional publisher is focused on profit, they care less about the merits of your talent and ideas than they do about how much revenue those ideas will generate. Thanks to self-publishing, you can share your special talents with the world — on your own terms!
This Thanksgiving, take a moment between courses and reflect on the opportunities and freedom indie authors now enjoy. There’s never been a better time to self-publish! With e-books, social media, online payments, and other technology paving the way to wider audience reach, there’s more potential than ever for success. And for that, we are most thankful indeed…
Outskirts Press is thankful for YOU, our authors and soon-to-be-authors! Click here to see images of some of our authors.
One thought on “9 Reasons Independent Authors Can Be Thankful for Self-Publishing”