Social media is one of the best marketing tools available to self-publishing authors. It is the digital era’s version of word of mouth marketing, and it is free, easy to use, and effective. Some of the most popular sites include Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube.
Regardless of which sites you decide to use, there are a few tips to maximize your marketing efforts. Here is what you need to know about using social media to promote your self-published book:
- Always include a cover photo. Ideally, this photo should be the cover of your book. You could also use a picture of yourself if you plan to promote yourself as an author, but make sure the pictures are professional and appropriate.
- Invite all of your friends and contacts to “like” or “follow” you. The more people see your postings, the more effective your marketing will be.
- Post regularly. Social media is not effective if you never post once you create the page. Fans expect frequent (but not excessive) postings. If updating regularly is a challenge, you can use programs such as HootSuite to schedule your posts.
- Include a link on your website. For every social media site you use, make sure there is a link on your website so readers can easily find your social media profiles.
- Check your page regularly. Social media is about conversation. You want people to comment on your posts, so you need to make sure you are responding to the conversations.
Need help getting started?
Until January 31, we at Outskirts Press would like to get you started off on the right foot in 2013 with free social media set-up services (a $399 for Diamond and Pearl authors). Author Platform Set-Up Through Social Media is a social media services package normally priced at $399 for our Diamond and Pearl package customers and $499 for all other authors — a huge savings for self-publishing authors for just a few more days this month!
With a minimal amount of information from you, Outskirts Press can launch your book into the social media landscape with the following services included in the package:
- Establish author accounts on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and WordPress
- Set up social media profiles on each platform
- Identify and establish relevant connections with users on each social media platform
- Assist you in building their unique online presence
You can take advantage of the service by visiting the product page.
To experience publishing success like this, click here to meet your consultant.