A professional editor is your last, best hurdle before sending your book off to publish. While it may seem an optional service, there are compelling reasons why you may not want to think of it as “optional” – not when your reputation and product quality are at stake.
It’s humbling to submit a highly personal work to someone we imagine gleefully buying red ink by the barrel. However, in this case, red ink is your best friend. Here are three ways your investment in a professional editor will pay for itself:
- An editor is your best beta tester. Your book is your product, and there’s no better way to “test” your product before it goes to market than with a professional editor – more than one editor, if it’s feasible. A test run of how your product might perform in the marketplace more than pays for itself, allowing you to tweak your writing and marketing to reach the right readers and keep them hooked once you do. In a perfect world, every publishing author would have the luxury of both an editor and a team of beta readers, but if you have to choose, hire a pro.
- Editors help you get your point across. You know what you mean to say – but will readers understand the ideas you’re trying to get across? There’s no way to know until you get someone “outside your head” to view your work from the perspective of a potential reader. This is one of the main missions of the editing process, and one that ensures that your words have the intended effect on the intended target audience so you can resonate with readers – and sell more books!
- Editors see “invisible” problems. By the time a book is close to finished and nearly ready for publication, most publishing authors have gone through it with a fine-toothed comb, often multiple times. But no matter how thoroughly and how often you review your own work, even the most conscientious authors can become blind to errors in their own prose. Even a couple of minor errors in your book can destroy your credibility and hurt your sales, making the services of a professional editor well worth a modest investment.
Remember, editors are, like you, avid readers and writers with the added advantage of having expertise in their field. Use that expertise to your advantage to get the most polished product possible. You’ll never regret it.
|GET $300 OF FREE UPGRADES WHEN YOU START PUBLISHING!|
You can apply your $300 of “Mad Money” toward any optional production or marketing option we offer during the pre-production process. And with many of our optional services beginning at just $99, you can get quite a few! Apply it to options such as a Custom Cover, Cover Scribing, Editing, a Kindle Format, or choose from many others.
The only question is, how are you going to spend it?
Enter the promotion code MADMONEYAUG14 and start publishing today!
In addition to receiving $300 in Mad Money, you’ll also receive the following with your Diamond package:
- Standard Press Release. $99 value included free when you order your Diamond publishing service today.
- Audio Excerpt. $99 value included free with your Diamond order today and a great way to share your voice with your readers, literally!
- E-Book Edition (pdf). $99 value included free with your Diamond publishing service.
- Cover Image. $99 value included free and a great way to enhance your cover.
- Spring Arbor additional distribution. $99 value to complement the Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Ingram availability already included with your Diamond publishing service.
All in all, you’re looking at over $800 of free stuff in August!
|TOP 5 PUBLISHING HEADLINES|
- 3 tools for promoting a book visually (and how to use them)
- Mad Money is back!
- Outskirts Press announces new Google Books Preview Option
- A video is worth a thousand words
- Get the word out about your new book with professional publication announcements!
|AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT & SUCCESS STORY|
“I was afraid coming into the publishing process due to the fact that I didn’t know what exactly to expect. I researched for weeks looking for a self-publishing process that would meet my expectations of what I wanted. Once I clicked on Outskirts Press link, I was sold! Everyone that was assigned to my team was absolutely outstanding. I love Outskirts Press because they made my publishing process fun, most importantly that made my dream come true!”
Demetrius Zeigler, the composer of this book, is a fatherless son himself. Through his desire to bring his story to others in the same situation, he has found a way to forgive his own father for not being there in his life, and he has realized that the people who remained there for him are truly the people who are worth his love and gratitude-for they made his fatherless life complete!
Fatherless Sons is a poignant collection of stories told by a group of men who grew up without fathers in their lives. They all have a different story, but the theme is the same-a boy without a father. You will learn how each of these men, who were hurt badly by the absence of fathers in their lives, learned to grow into the men they are today. As their stories are all different, so are the outcomes. Some of them were successful and some were not. The moral of this story is that no child should ever be deprived of having both parents in his/her life. But both parents have to be the best parent they can be to their children. Every child deserves the best.
– Demetrius Zeigler, author of Fatherless Sons