That’s a lot of words—but don’t panic! It’s only 1,667 words a day. You can do that!
November is just around the corner, and for those ready to accept the challenge, that means NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is fast approaching with its 50,000-word goal looming on the horizon.
NaNoWriMo isn’t just a vanity project; it’s a chance to tackle some of the thorniest issues related to writing and authorship that emerge when we settle into a long and sustained attempt to generate material. Issues like finding inspiration, maintaining motivation, vanquishing writer’s block, and navigating an author’s complicated relationship with editing.
To help you prepare, we’ve created a to-do list for all self-publishing authors participating in NaNoWriMo!
- Read some pep talks to boost your motivation to get started—and succeed! (Available on nanowrimo.org)
- Add a NaNoWriMo badge to your website/blog/social media pages as a fun way to let everyone know that you are taking the challenge. (Also available on nanowrimo.org)
- Spend time doing things that refresh your writing: listen to music, people watch, drink coffee, and read books!
- Relax: NaNoWriMo is inevitably hectic, so prepare your mind and body by practicing relaxation techniques such as exercising or meditating.
- Bring your friends and family on board! You will need their support during this process, so remind them of your goals and writing schedule.
- Have fun. NaNoWriMo is a fun process, so enjoy it.
Good luck to all self-publishing authors who are participating in NaNoWriMo. We hope you’ll keep us posted on your progress throughout November, and we can’t wait to help you get your books in print when you’ve achieved your goal!
When it’s time to share your story with the world, call and talk to an Outskirts Press Publishing Consultant who can help you on your journey to publication.
There are three convenient ways to connect: